Sunday, February 19, 2012

..."Bing"...Part 5...full version available on Lulu...


5:
Hate to say it was an uneasy ten hours, as the feeling was an underpinning of my fear.  Having not seen the man and really get to understand his contraption brought trepidation throughout this whole caper.
I could hear the three of them, distinguishable by their unique footfalls; they were making circular sweeps.  Da Vinci knew enough, but, like a novice, they only went as far as the light would fall from the campfire.  With cloud cover it was pitch black otherwise. They were in such a hurry - as they thought they were going to simply kill me - they carried no kit and no torches. Had they a standard light, they would have found me laying mere yards away.
Whatever Da Vinci had, he seemed to be wearing it.  It sounded 60 pounds heavier than he should.  I had him pegged at about 110 pounds, by the descriptions I received from at least four witnesses.  The footfall seemed to be much more substantial than a size 12.  For five hundred years old, he was as limber and adroit as his guides. And I pegged them in their early twenties.
....
My watch had 1:48a. The conversation had stopped. They must be resting, with at least one on guard duty. If I enter the right way, I could at least take one out. Da Vinci was always the wild card.

I took a knee, a little wobbly from shifting the blood around, and carefully did one quick pop above the brush line. In that half-second, I saw that both guides were sitting near the fire. They were not moving: no sign of Da Vinci.
I checked my weapons, made sure, for the thousandth time, that the safety was released. This was going to be a quick fight. I had the two guides for sure. I'd have to play it by ear for the bastard. If I was lucky, he was asleep, and I'd have time to trip him up before killing him. At worst, he had set a trap and would kill me easily.
Either way, it's now or never. I rushed forward, the switchgrass like a curtain when I came upon the camp.


...full version available on Lulu...

No comments: