Sunday, February 22, 2015

...Found Fiction: Dr. Seuss' "What Pet Should I Get?"...

So outside of the discovery of the found Sherlock Holmes story, we have Harper Lee writing a new novel, and the publishing run of a new Dr. Seuss book, What Pet Should I Get?"

The Times describes that this was found in manuscript container along with other previously incomplete works.  With the title and the inclusion (as we know so far) of the brother and sister from "One Fish Two Fish", it'll be more of Seuss' characteristic beat poems, less than story, more about meter.  (I withheld saying 'fun', as they are fun no matter what.)

I was a tad disappointed, and I have yet to read it, but I will buy it once it releases, but I wondered to myself as to 'why'.  I would have loved to have seen a newer book that was less the meter and wordplay and another one based on story.  I then thought quickly over my favorites and the favored ones of my children, having read to all four of them each one of these stories.

The quick "high Seuss" seven:

7) "If I Ran the Circus"
6) "McElligot's Pool"
5) "Green Eggs and Ham"
4) "In A People House"
3) "Happy Birthday to You"
2) "The Cat in the Hat"
1) "The Grinch Who Stole Christmas"

I enjoy reading Grinch so much.  And, after having read it aloud 50 times in the last 12 years, you get intimate with the tempo and his efficacious way of telling story.  Grinch sets apart from almost all the others I listed as it has its bit of darkness, it has an arc.  Where Seuss shines, obviously, is his ability to rhyme a few dozen words and have kids in stitches in how he arranges them.  But, as a storyteller, you read Green Eggs, Cat and Grinch, where there is a journey...and the latter the most, the best, of these.

Maybe the other two unpublished stories will be even more special...

No comments: