Sunday, May 10, 2015

...book resources and The Hobbit...

My son is reading The Hobbit as part of his English HP assignment as they round out the end of the school year.  Assigning certain books is fraught with trepidation for me as kids are going to wind up hating it moreso than the opposite.  When something becomes a chore or a task, does it not kill the natural emotions that are the rules of attraction?

I would rather education be more organic than formal when it comes to the art.  Instead of a mandate to read, give the kids a choice.  I envision a simple exercise, throw the required list, which is terrific already, all in a heap in the room.  Take one period and allow the kids to thumb through the books and say you got to chose one, but chose the one that you have an interest in.  I do this with my kids when it comes to getting books at the store or the library.  Better they have a dog in the fight then forcing fight in the dog.

Bauman's Copy 

That led me to look at my own copies of The Hobbit and to look at Tolkien's handwriting.  I love it.

If you've only been exposed to the movie, I heavily entreat you to buy a cheap copy of it and just enjoy it the way it was meant.

...

The State of CA recently observed 'Bookstore Day', where independent bookstore owners were recognized.  I sigh since Anaheim has very little in the way of people reading, apparently.  Even across Orange County, much of the small shops are for children's books.  Barnes and Noble is the only chain we have (in Santa Ana).

BUT, if you are looking for an indie store near you, try out http://indiemap.bookweb.org/.  And if you need great stationary, remember http://www.papyrusonline.com/.  There is a physical store in Brea that I'm going to hit up tomorrow and salivate over the clean, raw sheets.   [BN also has some great stationary lately too.] And a shout-out to http://www.biblio.com/ as they have some books and gifts I've needed recently.  Thank goodness for the internet, right?

For the geek in me, Hollywood Bowl is gearing up for a BTTF concert...yes, I'll be there.  Speaking of Brea I'll be a the TenMinutePodcast live show on Wednesday - if you want to crack up until your insides cry like Prince's doves, then I say $25 is a cheap cost of admission.


No comments: