Monday, November 30, 2015

"We have got to do the "jiminy jilickers" scene again, Milhouse." "But we already did it. It took us seven hours, but we did it. It's done."


In the immortal words of Milhouse Mussolini Van Houten, "I'm done."  My fingers and hands hurt something awful.  With thousands of words in the last couple of days to make up for a week of sickness,  'La Guitarra de Martin Sanchez' started out as a love story.  It was iinitially set in modern times, but, at about 25,000 words in, no joke, I found it was not the right voice.  The story needed to be rough and dirty and not necessarily about love at all, at least not in the way that I thought.  The love interest that sets Martin on his journey to Mexico, Abigail, was a great character, but Martin was not.  He was bland and uninteresting.  Now it is the reverse.  But not in the future revision - I will make sure to give her a similar voice, but set in the late 1930s.  She deserves more than to be the Mary Sue...and I wouldn't want her that way.  But, the driver of this story, and 85% of the novel is based on Martin and his Mariachi de San Ysidro.  It's a story of his brothers and how they drive him.  The story now has its defining image met, a story of seven mariachi walking in the desert back to America, playing a song in the mid-day sun.  A playful tune as they get Martin home to Abigail.

As with any nanowrimo - this is rough.  It was written in spurts and stops.  It was primarily written on my tablet on my lap.  It will need the careful revision and 'wholing' that must happen.. But it is done.

No comments: