Thursday, September 25, 2014

...the uncompromising love...


17th Street Santa Ana, 2014
Poem 25-09-14

Those trailing times I have made
Aimless described
Along sidewalks the men that made them never tread
Crafted three square feet at a time 
Designed with a quick slide of a pencil across a ruler
Utilitarian of all things utility
Do men really walk in such straight lines as these?  I will admit they do little to aspire.

And I drive as aimlessly
Music is my companion
Underscoring the lack of drama on
any one of those nights
Perhaps that is what jazz is
A backdrop to blurry lights
Santa Ana Side Street, 2014
The underpinning of late night 
Dinners in diners where the clatter
of plates and metal make a music
That no one is awake enough to care
I barely make it out
And only in time for the bleary
Eyed fossil hands me the check
Without a word
It is pedantic as the food that is made
like the sidewalk
But the coffee is delicious and
why I come.

And the road ahead!
It curves and bends following the contour of the ocean's edge.
There's the thrill!
There's the jazz. ///////

Hollywood Blvd, Facing West from the Pig, 2014

No comments: