Tuesday, September 24, 2013

...Where I Am...9/26/13...

I stood alone, although she with me, and the silence cooled the air
What I had said, could not be caught, it steeled her glance
A thieving quip had stole my love and stole her shine for me
She was fair and fairer more with her love subdued
And I loved her more for hating me: for what else then could I do?
Patience is not the suit of men and less the crown of me
I've waited long, I've waited fair that she would come to me
And there she was and the ground did swell about
Proclamations in a glance and declarations in a breath
None before or since, none since or before, I say again
Again I say it, to linger in the air that it may to her abate
Her mood.  Can such a thing be said by the very few
Before or since could say the same could stand the same
Yet here I am and here are you, before or since.

She left, she went to adorn the halls of palaces
With pretty boys, they prate and whisper draughts
Distilled of wantonness.  Twisted pillars arise
And art is left to settle its score with time and easy fancy.
Though don't doubt that I doubt where I roamed
In cover and concealment in camouflage
Trudged in rain on mud in cold Balkan winds
To arrive here as if I knew and knew tragedy
Is it too late it must be I know it is late
For winds they come only once and storms are
Frightening and glorious and beautiful all at once
As you, before or since.

If I have not proved, let me prove with the only
Forms I have: not fancy but form and not just form but this:
enticements perhaps, but think them not of me, for that is
Falsity assured; dismiss me still, hate me, reject me
For fade I shall as all shall fade and memory will it too
But none of me retain (reject assured) but retain at least what is left
Then that is all, and all and all, when you uncover it
What you believe you know will not be so and the
Falseness dissolve and bitter cold and night and dark
Will resolve all else and prove '---'
Face 67 - 25sep13 JE


No comments: