Saturday, December 27, 2014

"Ariel: The Restored Edition" Sylvia Plath, HarperCollins, 2004, Foreword by Frieda Hughes...

"I appeared to me that my father's editing of Ariel was seen to 'interfere' with the sanctity of my mother's suicide, as if, like some deity, everything associated with her must be enshrined and preserved as miraculous....But my mother, inasmuch as she was an exceptional poet, was also a human being and I found comfort in restoring the balance; it made sense of her for me."  - Frieda Hughes (xviii)

Ariel contains 40 poems in its first section, a facsimile of the manuscript in the second, drafts of Ariel next and appendices with a restored version of "The Swarm" and the script for the BBC broadcast of 1962 (where you will find her introducing in a few clips circulating on youtube).

Here are some favored lines:
Morning Song - "And now you try your handful of notes; The clear vowels rise like balloons."
The Rabbit Catcher - "I felt a still busyness, an intent.  I felt hands round a tea mug, dull, blunt, Ringing the white china."
The Detective - "We walk on air, Watson.  There is only the moon, embalmed in phosphorous.  There is only a crow in a tree.  Make notes."
Daddy - "I made a model of you, A man in black with a Meinkampf look, And a love of the rack and the screw."
Stopped Dead - "Is it a penny, a pearl - Your soul, your soul?  I'll carry it off like a rich pretty girl..."

"Ariel: The Restored Edition"



"Kiss me and you will see how important I am." - Sylvia Plath

No comments: