Wednesday, December 31, 2014

"Curious Folding" Willem Partridge Recounts...

"It may be appropriate to recount my business in Menlo first: I am contracted by the State of New Jersey as an assessor of telegraph lines, especially as they service government agencies and the general commerce.  There are trunks that were used with much more frequency when Edison was still at his laboratory, and, with their disuse, I was sent to calculate lines in service.  As you must have found yourself, the area has fallen far from when I first was contracted seven years ago.  I can assure, my lady, it was not in this sorrowful condition not so long ago."

The use of the anachronism, being addressed as a lady, proved to Ida that Patridge's stern demeanor was, in fact, his true one.  He must see the world in perfect contrasts of one or another.  He spoke with no movement of his neck or shoulders.  His collar was perfectly straight and the long lines in his jowls as they rose horizontally upon his face all led to those impervious brown eyes.  Although still in much pain, she was able to find the appropriate attentiveness to sit through Patridge's comprehensive detailing.

"As much as I expected, vagabonds and squatters took over the buildings, I didn't, or I daresay, wouldn't, have believed the bounds of civility are wholly lost in the poor.  They did little to maintain the necessary commitment for the structures, and, almost assuredly, felt instead compelled to make upon them a worser condition than before.  Forgive me if I see it in such a stark light, but, like the wires I maintain, such a modicum of work can do wonders to maintain the basic necessities of life.

"Here I am, astride my black tawny, riding through the Parks and their overgrowth of dried vines and refused wood, I see the tracks of several canines (may they be wild dog or wolves, I cannot tell unless offered by a tracking expert).  I follow them through the pockets of fields and note that they are striving further to the Park.  It was, upon spotting the buildings, and upon the porch of the Main,  I spotted your small frame.  I only first saw the black cloth of your dress and I took it for drapery.  But I saw then a wolf come closer and you swung to life.  I was taken aback that there was still life in you.  The air was frigid that day, and you lay upon the bare ground, without appropriate attire and surrounded by wolves.   There was cautious movement upon their part, and then I saw the swing of a large stick in your hands.  This was the only thing keeping them from you, but these wolves were patient and looked upon you as they would a toy.  It was chilling how little care beasts have for their victims.  As I pondered how to help, the wolf opposite the other, there being five in all, rushed in and took an excruciating bite from your side.  I leapt into action from there.

"You let out no scream, but sunk inwards, passing out.  The wolves then cautiously led themselves to you.  I found the easiest mark and show within a few paces, I dismounted my horse and had her walk alongside me, luckily she obeyed.

"I walked as close as I could and fired into the wolf that offered its side to me.  I didn't want to kill, but put the fear of the Almighty into them.  It worked.  The wolf jumped backwards, if by some curious preternatural force, which frightened the other animals.  I only had the single shot so I reverted to my club and awaited them.  They looked around harried, but the confusion blinded them to me, so I moved position and was allowed the reloading of the rifle.  I was quite lucky then, the shot wolf yelped and mewed to the attention of its brethren.  It would die from its wounds.  The others lost some confidence and turned away from you.  Before they could even spot me, I fired again and hit another wolf in the bottom.   This was the one that took a bite from you. This sent all of them to run forward and away from the main building.

"However, 'your' beast was from Hades itself.  It did not run but limped around as if it knew exactly where I was.  It growled fiercely, your blood along its maw like a wicked make-up.  He quickly crossed the distance between us before my horse or I could react.  It half-charged, with only little locomotion left, and I had to strike with the club.  I beat it to submission and ensured his demise.

"I took you back inside, but found you had little warmth and even less food.  Luckily, I carry a repast, and gave you want little you would take.  Keeping you awake was much more difficult.  Then," he moved in close, to a whisper, 'and sorry if this sounds harsh, but you had no food in the lab nor toiletries.  I thought that you were a vagrant, until I saw that you were working on an experiment non-paraleil.  As you see from my experience, I took fast interest to your designs and this put urgency to find you help before you died.

"You were close to expiring my lady, on several occasions.  The sisters here are well-experienced in keep you alive."

Ida felt the sores, but didn't know that it was a wolf that attempted to feast upon her.  She shuddered and felt suddenly ill.  She thought the words of gratitude but all she could do was stare at Patridge, her eyes glassy and faint.  She then passed out.

No comments: